[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Daniel Buijs dbuijs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 21:34:15 UTC 2008

Under current law there is almost nothing illegal about MythTV in
Canada. The problem with DVDs under the new law is that not only
copying them but simply READING them on Linux would be a technical
violation of the law because all DVDs are protected by CSS. The open
source deCSS program included with MythTV is currently covered under
Canada's Fair Dealings provisions which allow circumvention of
technical protection measures to ensure compatibility with different
hardware. If the bill is passed, this will become illegal.

Whether it will or even can be enforced is another issue altogether,
but since this is still only a proposed law, I plan on letting the
government know that I've got a very big problem with it in principle.

DB