[mythtv-users] Clear QAM and PVR 1250

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:13:12 UTC 2008

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I bought a Hauppauge PVR 1250, dropped it in a Windows box, and hooked
> it up to the cable (Time-Warner, no box). The auto search feature says
> it finds no digital channels. Last night we bought a 26 in Sony Bravia.
> I plugged that into the cable (again no box), and it found something
> like 50 digital channels. I am hoping someone with much more experience
> in these things could tell if I'm likely doing something wrong with the
> PVR 1250, or if there is something different about the tuner in the Sony
> that allows it to pick up the digital channels.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Robinson

Well, let's see, first thing you're doing wrong is using it in windows.
(sorry couldn't resist) Last I checked myth wasn't working that well on
windows yet.

In mythtv if you go into mythtv-setup and add it as a tuner, and then go
to input connections and scan to add channels, it will find all your non
encrypted QAM channels. The drivers for this card "just work" with the
latest linux kernel. Or if you're using an older kernel just compile the
latest v4l-dvb.

That's a heck of a lot more than I can say for my attempts to get the
thing working in windows when I first got it.
raphy