[mythtv-users] Fun with FireWire

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Jul 10 03:30:53 UTC 2008

Once upon a time I had great tuning: RCN offered all the basic
tier -- analog channels -- via clear QAM.

They took away all the analog channels, so my PVR-500 won't
work. (Actually, that's happening on the 15th.)

And they encrypted all the clear QAM channels except the
OTA-available ones.

But! They offer non-encrypted FireWire on their HD boxes. So I'm
going to pay them another $25/month and get two of those.

After getting two boxes without FW (but the installer really
liked the Myth box features that I showed off to him), the next
installer brought two boxes that are so equipped. We plugged
them in, I showed off the Myth box (again, very impressed --
this one asked for my email address to talk about Myth later)
and this evening I'm trying them out.

I'm running 0.21. After adjusting permissions on /dev/raw1394,
myth-setup recognized both boxes. I can tune them on LiveTV.
When I try to record, though, the results appear to be erratic.

What should I be looking at?

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.