[mythtv-users] 2 copies on MythTV on the same system.

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 10 16:06:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:04:19PM +1000, covert covert wrote:

> Is it just a case of making a new user (mythdev) and installing myth
> under that account and pointing that install to a different database ?

All I did when I was playing with 0.20 over 0.19 was to replace
all occurences of mythconverg in the source with mythconverg20.
Also, to avoid needing a different user, I simply changed the
references to .mythtv/mysql.txt to mysql20.txt (and the contents
to say mythconverg20.)

As someone else mentioned, change the prefix, the place that it
gets installed to. I like to use /usr/local/stow/<package-version>
so that I can "cd /usr/local/stow" and "stow <package-version>".
This makes removing the old version easy. I would imagine
that if you made it look for mysql.txt there, you could flip
between different versions even more trivially.

You might want to point it somewhere other than /var/mythtv
if you want to keep the videos separated.

The only other thing you have to be careful of is your distro
automatically starting up the back-end which will fight over
the tuners and network ports.

I can't recommend using a virtual machine since people seem to
have enough trouble playing video at full speed. If it didn't
work, is it caused by the new software or the VM ? However, you
could probably avoid some of the above by using a chroot.
But I figure, if it can't fix all your problems, don't bother.