[mythtv-users] Clear QAM and PVR 1250

Jonathan Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 10 23:24:11 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 5:45 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: [mythtv-users] Clear QAM and PVR 1250

I bought a Hauppauge PVR 1250, dropped it in a Windows box, and hooked
it up to the cable (Time-Warner, no box). The auto search feature says
it finds no digital channels. Last night we bought a 26 in Sony Bravia.
I plugged that into the cable (again no box), and it found something
like 50 digital channels. I am hoping someone with much more experience
in these things could tell if I'm likely doing something wrong with the
PVR 1250, or if there is something different about the tuner in the Sony
that allows it to pick up the digital channels.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

The most likely explanations are: 1. You scanned for the wrong frequencies or possibly set the scan to look for 8-VSB instead of QAM-256 modulation, or 2. Differences in the way you connected them gave your computer inadequate signal strength.

#1: I don't know what software you were using, but I'd double-check that it was scanning the US CABLE frequencies (instead of ATSC, or broadcast frequencies) and also QAM-256--not 8-VSB modulation.

For #2: Were you using the same physical cable with both devices, or could the cable to the computer be damaged? Was it screwed into the 1250 correctly? Is the computer properly grounded--i.e. connected to a plug with a good ground wire? These would be things I would check.

Jon