[mythtv-users] OT: Did I fry my digital TV tuner?

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jul 11 05:24:47 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure but I think I fried the digital tuner in my new LCD
> TV. I was a victim of the HDHomerun bad power supply so I figured I'd
> hook up my nifty medium directional antenna in my attic to the TV
> while my LiveTV in Myth is out of commission.
>
> Well I did a channel scan and if found a few digital channels but not
> all I expected. At first I thought I had a weak signal because of that
> but I noticed that all the analog stations looked REALLY good for
> analog. So I tried putting in a splitter (one end connected to my HDHR
> so it would be terminated) and it didn't help, then I tried two
> splitters, no go...
>
> Most channel it found during the auto scan it would not show a picture
> "No Video or Audio" and the ones it did were "blocky" but not in the
> normal signal glitch way but with crazy colors in the blocks... I then
> tried connecting it back to the original antenna I had it on (not much
> better than rabbit ears) which picked up all the digital channels but
> frequently had signal issues but things did not return to normal. I
> still can't tune hardly any digital stations and the ones it does
> "tune" are the weird blocky type.
>
> So I'm pretty sure I fried my digital tuner (analog still works fine)
> but wanted to look for confirmation here...
>
> Richard

It is really hard to understand what you are saying.  For one thing, how
on earth can a splitter help?  Also, if your HDHR is out of commission,
how did you do a channel scan?  Basically, I have no idea what you are
saying or asking.  That said, I seriously doubt you fried your tuner
unless you felt a shock from static at some point or did something you
are not telling us about.

Allen