[mythtv-users] HD Playback Quality

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jul 11 16:31:54 UTC 2008

>    I suppose this explains why my appletv frontend does a better than
> expected job displaying high bitrate 1080i content. My 720p TV is being
> driven to 1080(interlaced obviously) by the nvidia Xorg driver by default.
>
>    ...now I have something to play around with on the 1080p set.

You want to change xorg.conf and remove the 1080 setting on the TV set
so that Myth drives it with its native resolution.

I got terrible looking displays when my 720p projector was driven by a
1080 signal.  I don't think it has as much to do with interlace as with
sending the wrong signal.  Think of a 720p source being interpolated up
to 1080i then the Tv converting it back to 720p.  That can't be good.

Just remove the modes.  Below is the part of xorg.conf that drives my
display.  Note: I have another setup for my svideo port.

---snip---

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Videocard0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName      "GeForce 6200 LE"
     BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
     Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
     Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Unknown"
     ModelName      "Panasonic AX-100"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 49.0
     VertRefresh     24.0 - 61.0
     Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Videocard0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "TwinView" "0"
     Option         "metamodes" "DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection