[mythtv-users] Mythweb Flash Stream - Can I Open It With Some Other Player?

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jul 11 17:25:42 UTC 2008

> I get sound in the player embedded in the mythweb page.  I get some sort
> of "file can't be found" message when copying to URL from the asx file
> into either Windows Media Player or VLC network stream dialog.

I wonder why I don't get any sound yet the file gives sound when played
with Winamp???

> File still not found.

Just to be clear on what I did.  One ASX file I have looks like this:
<ASX version = "3.0">
<TITLE>Charlie Rose</TITLE>
<ENTRY>
<TITLE>Charlie Rose - </TITLE>
<AUTHOR>MythTV - MythWeb</AUTHOR>
<COPYRIGHT>GPL</COPYRIGHT>
<REF HREF = "http://192.168.1.111:80/mythweb/pl/stream/1091/1215759600" />
</ENTRY>
</ASX>

I put "http://192.168.1.111:80/mythweb/pl/stream/1091/1215759600"  into
Firefox and it offered me the option of saving it, which I did.  The
strange thing to me is that it saved it as an .mpg file, which was easy
to play.

What I am thinking from this and the error messages from MP is that myth
is taking the request
"http://192.168.1.111:80/mythweb/pl/stream/1091/1215759600"  and
redirecting it to the .mpg file.  The players we have tried, MP and
WinAmp don't like the redirection.  WinAmp, for example, automatically
inserts a file extension at the end of the url, which clearly will not
work.  Too bad as WinAmp otherwise does exactly what we want.

> I wonder if it would stream with VLC?  Anyway, thanks for your reply.

While I would like to get sound as you do, ultimately I would prefer to
have a larger screen of the correct aspect ratio so I am very interested
in knowing what solution you find, and of course, helping in the search.

Allen