[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Daniel Buijs dbuijs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 23:44:16 UTC 2008

Ok, Mea Culpa.

I didn't give a complete summary of C-61. I only mentioned the
prohibition on circumventing technical protection measures. This is
not the only part of the bill. The intent of my message was to
suggest that people who use MythTV without breaking the current law
in Canada should be very concerned about C-61 and take the time to
inform themselves about the potential consequences if the bill
becomes law.

The uses I mentioned in a follow-up message do indeed become illegal
under C-61's other provisions. There are also a few obscure clauses
that change the copyright of commissioned photographs (like wedding
pictures) and allow contract provisions to take priority over copyright.

It is very important that MPs know that the bill would make criminals
of millions of otherwise law-abiding citizens, not just downloaders.
I've been told that many MPs are not very technologically literate
and will have to be educated. Luckily my own MP is more receptive
than most. Unluckily, he's NDP so his influence is more symbolic than
useful.

I don't think this mailing list is the place to discuss the
individual clauses of the bill. If you are interested in discussing
this, I invite you to join us on the Facebook group Fair Copyright
for Canada.

DB