[mythtv-users] OT: NFS craziness

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:41:11 UTC 2008

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Not strictly Myth, but definitely Myth-related, as the particular setup is one
> that a number of you must use in one form or another.
>
> As previously mentioned by me here, I cross-mount my video data drives as
> follows (on all machines), where <this> is the local hostname and <that> is any
> remote hostname:
>
> in /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdc1 /mnt/<this>/video ext3, relatime 1 2
>
> in /etc/exports:
> /mnt/<this> 192.168.0.0/24(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)
>
> ...and this worked. Now, having purchased some extra disks, I realised I had to
> modify my scheme as follows:
>
> in /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdc1 /mnt/<this>/hdc/video ext3, relatime 1 2
> /dev/hdd1 /mnt/<this>/hdd/video ext3, relatime 1 2
>
> in /etc/exports as before:
> /mnt/<this> 192.168.0.0/24(no_all_squash,async,secure,no_subtree_check,rw)

You cannot export that way, each actual device needs to be separately exported,
the exports on /mnt don't carry over to other devices mounted in the same
directory tree, they never have.

You will also have to mount *EACH* different device on the remote end, it
appears from the man page to be possible to not mount each different devices it
with options (on both ends), but some of the notes listed seem to indicate that
there will be issues it a lot of cases.

I would also lose the rsize/wsize setting or at least change it to 32768 as 8192
has not been an optimal setting for several years, any options that you read
with the stuff that said to use 8192 are likely suspect.

                                Roger