[mythtv-users] Booohooohoooo......

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 12 22:09:00 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 July 2008 15:48:22 Francesco Peeters wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:
> > 2008/7/12 Francesco Peeters <francesco at fampeeters.com>:
> >> My USB harddisk on which my MythTV FE/BE lives died... The drive won't
> >> spin up anymore, and I currently don't have time to rebuilt on a new
> >> device, and I really don't want to either, because I meant to make that
> >> machine a net-boot machine...  *rolls eyes*
> >>
> >> Why does shit like that always happen at the most inconvenient times...
> >>
> >> Only good bit is that this drive is less than 2 years old, so I will at
> >> least get a new one from WD!...
> >
> > Sorry to hear about the failure. I often wonder whether external
> > drives have adequate cooling and ventilation, especially when they are
> > used heavily. Do/did you monitor your HDD temps via SMART? Was the
> > external drive purchased as a single unit (drive plus enclosure) or
> > did you purchase the two separately?
>
> I wondered too, but it was a complete unit by WD, so I assumed they had
> done at least some testing on that!  ;-)
>
> I did not continuously monitor the temps, but whenever I did, they
> weren't outlandish high (iirc approx 45-47C) though...
>
> All it does now is make short buzz sounds (approx .5 secs every 2 secs),
> which sounds like it tries to spin up, but somethings keeping it from
> doing so...
>
> Even allowing it to cool down for a day didn't help... Maybe I'll put it
> in a bag and toss it in the freezer for a few hours to see if that makes
> a bit of a difference...

I have had some luck with twisting the drive on its axis by hand, turn your
hand in the same plane the platters spin in. The idea is to overcome the
starting friction of the platters, the rolling friction is far less.

I have also seen more trouble with external units than with internal ones. I
have often wondered if they intentionally put crappier drives in the external
units, but I guess that's just my paranoia creeping in.

beww