[mythtv-users] HD MPEG2 ->SD DVD?

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 00:28:18 UTC 2008

2008/7/14 George Mari <george_mythusers at mari1938.org>:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
>>> Most of myth recordings are in HD and 16x9, mpeg2 via HDHhomerun.
>>> Occasionally I want to share one with a friend who has a standard DVD
>>> player.
>>>
>>> Obviously I need to transcode, build an ISO, and then burn. I've tried
>>> mythtranscode and nuvexport, and have yet to get something that looks
>>> decent, has the right dvd resolution and proper audio sync.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate some hints (linux only).
>>>
>>> I can manage to create and burn the dvd with dvdauthor,mkisofs,cdrecord
>>> but if there is some nice automation that does all of it that would be
>>> helpful.
>>>

>> Mytharchive does this(under optical disks|archive files). I record SD
>> mpeg2 streams from satellite, so they don't require much massaging to
>> get them into DVD format.
>>
>> I have never tried with a HD recording.
>>

> I've used mytharchive to make SD DVD's of HD OTA programs with little
> trouble.  They even come out correctly in 16:9 format.  This is on
> version 0.20.2 of MythTV.
>
> I have to use one of the encoder profiles - HQ or SP, depending on how
> long your program is, and let it do what it needs to do.  Choose the
> option to make the ISO first before you burn a DVD to test it.
>
> I've also found that while the audio sync is sometimes off when playing
> back the burned DVD via mplayer, the audio sync is correct when played
> back in a standalone DVD player.

Are there maybe some plans to make this work on the fly/on demand when
someone wants to watch it?

I have one powerful combined be/fe and one single frontend. This
single frontend is connected to SD TV. I am using an old notebook
(Pentium M 1400MHz) as a frontend over wireless lan (802.11) and I am
absolutely not able to watch anything else except SD recording or a
DVD rip because of not enough CPU speed and network connection.

It would be great to be able to downscale video on the fly when a user
wants to play HD recording or an HD Apple trailer in MythVideo with
mplayer.

Does downscaling video need more power than watching it? Probably
little bit more and I mencoder or some other tool could do it. It
could write the output in a new file, and mplayer on the
notebook-frontend would read from it. I did not try this, but it could
maybe be done for mplayer/mythvideo:
1. user runs a scripts which should start the video playing
2. the scripts connects over ssh to the powerful backend and starts
downscaling the video and saving it in a new file
3. a few seconds later mplayer (on the frontend) starts with reading
from the new file

fast forward is probably not possible.

what do you think about this idea?