[mythtv-users] What is the best Video Player

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 12:29:04 UTC 2008

2008/7/14 Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Brett Williams <vipersbt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I first started using MythTV is was using the default mplayer for
>> playing my videos, then later I switched to the Internal player.  Both seem
>> to work fine, is there really a difference?  Is one better than another?
>
> If you've tried both and can't see a difference then it doesn't really
> matter which one you use does it?
>
> Personally I use the internal player if I can because it integrates better:
> it provides the same interface and capabilities when watching videos as you
> get when watching tv. It may be possible to set mplayer up so it's pretty
> seemless, but you'll have to do some work. And even then I'm not sure if
> mplayer supports stuff like timestretch. If I have something with a
> container or codec that the internal player can't handle then I use mplayer.
> It may be more efficent for HD so if you're having problems with HD material
> in the internal player it might be worth a try.
>
>> Is there an even better choice?
>
> There other common option is Xine. It used to be better for dvds as it had
> better support for dvd menus, but the internal player has pretty much caught
> up in that department. mplayer didn't have any support for dvd menus when I
> last tried it - don't know if it has improved since. But again, if you can't
> see a difference between mplayer and Internal then I doubt Xine will do much
> for you.

last time I used  Internal player for mythvideo many things did not
work( or mplayer was doing these things better for me):
- matroska files crashed it often
- 5.1 from matroska files sound did not work
- you cannot set your subtitle directory, but you have to have
subtitle files directly in the movie folder
- mplayer needs less power for playing HD movies in mkv or mov
container, especially with CoreAVC patches

For me: Internal is better for recordings, but mplayer is more flexible.