[mythtv-users] OT: NFS craziness

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 01:10:27 UTC 2008

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> I would also lose the rsize/wsize setting or at least change it to 32768 as 8192
>> has not been an optimal setting for several years, any options that you read
>> with the stuff that said to use 8192 are likely suspect.
>
> Then who maintains the documentation? Because 8192 is still listed here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.10

I did not get the stuff from the mythtv stuff, I got it from the NFS groups
stuff, I patched kernels 7 years ago so I could run 32k because it was faster
than 8k on the same network (by a decent amount).

If someone is going to change the howto it I would strongly suggest having
someone try with no rsize/wsize option first, and if that works fine (and it
likely will) then leave it, if it fails then other things may be tried.   The
only condition were 8192 should work better is if the network it is working on
is losing a lot of packets, or if the specific network card is unable to process
32k of data at one shot (mvpmc embedded set top box has a really really cheap
nic it in and cannot deal with >4k-much cheaper than any cheap PCI/MB nic card),
and there really is no reason to be putting all of these specific options unless
the specific setup has something about it that requires it (and almost no setup
would need that setting).

And a number of the howto's (everyone's not just mythtv) have questionable
value, just because they don't get updated often enough or ever, and are now
just plain wrong.

                              Roger