[mythtv-users] roku 360

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jul 16 13:22:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:26:12AM +1000, Dean Harding wrote:
> Edward Goodnow wrote:
> > seems to me that the SDK is already there or nearly done. and that
> > Netflix is doing all they can to make deployment of 3rd party streaming
> > solutions a rather trivial matter. All of this leads me to believe that
> > not only is a Myth plugin feasible but that they would actually
> > encourage such development
>
> I highly doubt it. As we pointed out before, the movies that Netflix
> stream are DRM-encrypted. And while it's possible for Netflix to enter
> into NDA contracts with companies such as LG or Microsoft, they cannot
> enter into such a contract with the MythTV developers.

Well, they could choose to make the plugin themselves, or make a plugin
that can be used some other way from within Myth (like a fullscreen web
plugin).

Although I don't see this happening either.

OTOH, the xbox is "hackable" enough that any version made for that
system may lead to their DRM getting broken.