[mythtv-users] no live tv

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Jul 17 12:18:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 16:09 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please help!
> >
> > I've had an nice running myth setup on Ubuntu since 8.04 was ready.  Today,
> > I did an update that included a new kernel version, and now I have problems
> > on two of my systems.  My main backend seems to run fine, but when I connect
> > to it from any of my frontends, I have no live TV, and it shows that I have
> > no recordings.  I've checked my recordings directory (which is on a couple
> > of harddrives, LVM style, and all they do is store recordings) and
> > everything appears as it should.  Otherwise, myth seems to work, I can
> > connect to my videos library, and everything seems fine.  So does this mean
> > my database is messed up? I've never experienced a problem like this
> > before.  Also, during the same update on my main desktop machine, also
> > running Ubuntu 8.04 (which also occasionally serves as a frontend on one of
> > the two displays) I seem to have a different problem.  On that machine, my
> > video and sound seem not to work.  I have to run the video with the VESA
> > driver to load X, and I've yet to make audio work at all.
> >
> > Has anyone running ubuntu/mythbuntu experienced similar problems in the last
> > day or so?  I download updates daily, and usually install them daily, and
> > that has served me well for the last year or so (of course, the 8 of the
> > last 12 months were running on 7.04 and 7.10).  Is this just a new lesson
> > for why I should be constantly paranoid and terrified about updates?
> >
> > I'd like to simply undo the last update, but I'm afraid I don't know how to
> > do that.  Any advice would be appreciated, and let me know if I can provide
> > any further details.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Josh
>
> Repeat after me: "I shall not fiddle with my working MythTV system!"
>
> No, not struck this, but I don't update my 8.04 mythbuntu box. I'll
> let you know if my desktop is screwed after i get home and reboot it
> following the latest update.

Mythbuntu 8.04 has had several kernel revisions since it was released. A
quick way to test if it was the new kernel is to attach a keyboard and
press ESC to get to the boot menu. Your older kernels should still be
there and you can choose one to boot.

If attaching a keyboard is not practical you can also ssh into the box
and force grub to use the older kernel by default.

edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Look for the section (at the bottom of the file) that lists the kernels.
Copy/paste the lines for the older kernel above the lines for the newer
kernel and then reboot.

Here is what mine would look like if I wanted to boot the original
kernel (some lines are wrapped):

title           Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
root=UUID=2ef2c79b-0495-4a52-9d59-a83e5a870371 ro single
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

title           Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
root=UUID=2ef2c79b-0495-4a52-9d59-a83e5a870371 ro quiet splash
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
quiet

The original Ubuntu 8.04 kernel was 2.6.24-16-generic. If the lines for
it appear first then it will be the default chosen by Grub. The downside
to this is that you must redo the edit to /boot/grub/menu.lst every time
a new kernel is installed.

Cheers,
James