[mythtv-users] nVidia 9600GT and XvMC - there or not?

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:42:40 UTC 2008

>> So I set my composite to Enable and restart X. I know get different
>> options in Playback. If I set my profile (created a custom one) to
>> OpenGL I can choose Linear (HW), etc for deinterlacing, but it is
>> horribly choppy on playback, then freezes (lots of audio buffer
>> warnings). In general, the OpenGL performance is quite poor. Xv-blit
>> seems to be the best
> Unless you have a specific need to run something like compiz on your
> desktop, you really don't want to enable composite. Mythtv makes no
> use of the composite extension and it will only hurt performance
> (especially for opengl playback) and probably interfere with vertical
> sync.

Thanks for the reply.

No compiz on my mythbox...

With composite enabled, I get (HW) in brackets after some of the
deinterlacers in Playback Profiles. When I first saw this, I thought
this was a promising development as it would do hardware
deinterlacing, not CPU-intensive deint.

But, you are correct that it was crappy and did hurt performance.
However, if this is the case, how come the change in the deinterlacing
screens with composite enabled?