[mythtv-users] Playback of HDTV, HDHomeRun

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 19:02:47 UTC 2008

Eric (MythTV) wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> As a datapoint i am able to play back my hdhomerun recordings on a P4
>> 2.8 GHz using a nvidia 5200 without any problems (and no xvmc). I did
>> use to have problems with it when i was using an old ATI card however.
>
> Sorry for jumping into this thread, but is there anywhere I can download
> a sample file from a HDHomeRun?  Nothing done to it, just a straight-up
> recording?  I'd like to be able to see if my setup can play it back
> without problems or not.
>
> I downloaded some other sample high-def stuff, but its not in the same
> format as what would come out of the HDHR...  and since I'm thinking
> about getting an HDHR, it would be nice to be able to test a file.
>
> Thanks......
> --Eric

Most of the ATSC tuners take the MPEG2 stream that the broadcaster/cable company
puts on the air/cable and puts that on directly on disk, about the only change
that the ATSC tuner does is it typically splits out multiple channel streams and
only puts the one you asked for on disk on channels that sub-channels.

Now the broadcaster/cable companies have a number of different formats that they
deliver, currently most intensive one is 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced), and you
need a decent machine and video card to play that back.   The 720p stuff takes
quite a bit less to play back.

                            Roger