[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 18:18:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Johan <johan.vanderkolk at dommel.be> wrote:

> The whole discussion remains hypothetical.
>
> Dev's dont want to be risking the future of myth by installing a
> protocol highly associated with illegal actions. That is their right and
> their choice. Take it or leave it.
>
> BT is an excellent and smart protocol, but one could argue that in the
> context of a video oriented application the protocol would be used to
> download video material.
> And here is the issue: 99% of the video material on P2P networks and
> downloadable by BT is at least copyrighted (for use in your OWN living
> room and not for distribution) on plain illegal.
>
> Therefore I understand and support the decision from the Dev's not to
> associate MythTV with BT.
>
> I could if I would like still install another BT client and store the
> video's in the video directory. My choice to do so.

I fail to understand the level of integration that is desired here as well.
He wants to be able to do what?

- Search and start torrent downloads from the TV?

I'm not sure how much or often someone with BT in mind does such things.
Most of this seems to me to be a set and forget type subscription from the
RSS side and I have really yet to see any compelling content on a BT network
but that's just me perhaps.  But BT clients in general support subscriptions
too.

In fact, RSS browsing is already supported in MythNews with support for
downloading enclosures (although not streaming, etc).  I've seen far more
interesting content cataloged and available via RSS feeds than much of
anything on the BT side (at least that works with Linux in any way).

- Manage downloaded content?

Already handled by MythVideo although geared towards movies and not perhaps
TV episdoes.

- Watch content?

Certainly already in MythTV's feature set but perhaps not all the formats
possible.  This again points me towards MythVideo with support for multiple
player applications.

Seems to me that other than automating downloads (already handled by some
good programs on the Linux side) that there is very little missing here when
it comes to viewing BT/RSS downloaded content with MythTV.  A resourceful
person would probably have set this entire thing up already in the time it
took to write to the mailing list.

Much ado about nothing.

Kevin