[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jul 18 18:22:31 UTC 2008

Dean Collins wrote:
> Oh Geoff blow it out your butt.

OK I can do that. I *am* an old fart!  Would you like fries with that?

> Show me a bit torrent client developer who has been sued??

Well Napster jumps to mind, although technically napster wasn't really a
'bit torrent client' developer. Although it may have been. I don't know.
But close enough when nukes are being used.
Napster, IIRC was sued both as the developer AND the facilitator of the
illegal downloading. It didn't host the files, it hosted lists of
file-holders who could be connected to, to download.
And didn't Napster end up bankrupt?
A large part of that case revolved around the facilitation issue
together with the software to make use of the information. The next step
of course was peer to peer: no central database. Recently a Federal
judge in the northeast held that 'making available' a copyrighted file
is not itself 'copying'. The RIAA will likely appeal that.

> Not someone who was sued as a suspected downloader.

> Isaac is the reason why Myth-TV development hasn't been as successful as
> say something like Asterisk.

Wow! Now Isaac is supposed to worry about how successful mythtv is?
Asterisk is 'successful' because Digium, among others, sell hardware
that uses Asterisk. If the software works they sell more hardware.
Although based on open source software, the marketing methodology is to
sell hardware. Their best selling point is the outrageous fees charged
by the telcos.

And how, exactly, does it worry you, that myth is not as successful as
you would like? And what are you doing to change that?

Isaac and the other devs DO NOT WANT TO BE SUED. Like Grisham's law in
email lists/comments, (I won't use the 'H' word), getting sued is a sort
of badge of 'you lose' (as well as a badge of 'your are big enough to
bother someone').

It does not matter if you are in the right. Just ask Novell or IBM or
Red Hat or Autozone or Daimler-Chrysler about their "win" in being sued
by SCO. Even if you win in the end (like Novell appears to have done
(and 'appears' is operative), you still lose. Novell has probably spent
more than the $2.5M of the judgment in fighting the action and may not
recover that judgment.

The devs don't give a flying fcuk if anyone wants to go off and build a
plugin which does what you want. It just will never be an 'official'
myth plugin. Get over it. If they don't like grits, all of your whining
and snivelling will not change their minds.

So I will reply in the same civil, nuanced and subtle manner as your
response. Blow it out yours!

Geoff