[mythtv-users] Moving from KnoppMyth to Mythbuntu

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 01:04:50 UTC 2008

On 7/19/08, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
>> As noted in another post to this list I have run into issues with the
>> new version of KnoppMyth (version 5.5), which has me wondering "Is the
>> grass greener on the other side". I have briefly played with Mythbuntu
>> on my long suffering, often abused test box, and was basicly happy
>> with what I saw.
>>
>> So, I am wondering what sort of pitfalls await me if I choose to move
>> from KnoppMyth R5F27 to Mythbuntu 8.04?
>>
>> I am assuming the easiest route would be to install Mythbuntu 7.10, as
>> it, like Knoppmyth R5F27 also runs MythTV 0.20, then take Mythbuntu
>> 8.04. Right?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice.
>>
>> Colin.
>
> Are you going to Mythbuntu 7.10 because you want to keep your current
> database? If so, you'll have to ask someone else if that'll work. I
> don't know I'm afraid.

Yes, I really would like to keep the current database. Thus the
wondering about switching the distro. first, then the MythTV version.

> If you're not keeping the database, why not just go straight to 8.04?
>
> I've had limited success with installing Mythbuntu as a system its self.
> My preference (and all my Linux machines are set up like this) is to
> install Ubuntu, and then add Mythbuntu to is just by pressing the big
> button on the Mythbuntu website after Ubuntu is all set up and updated.
> If the direct Mythbuntu route works for you though then go with it. It's
> probably much better than when I last tried it and it'll leave you with
> e lighter system if the machine is for pure PVR use.

The box is to be a pure FE/BE MythTV box which will support at least
one pure FE box (for things like web browsing, word processing, etc.,
I do that on a Debian based box (which explains my tending to favour
Debian based distributions, such as Mythbuntu over the likes of
Mythdora...)).

Colin.