[mythtv-users] BitTorrent: It's not just for Copyvio anymore! (was: MythTV and BitTorrent?)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 21 03:12:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:12:33AM -0500, jedi wrote:
> > Torrents != Illegal. Already went over this, so I won't repeat myself and make a huge paragraph. :P
>
>     The protocol isn't.
>
>     The typical usage is.
>
>     Denying this is just kidding yourself.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/digitalcontent/2007/02/bittorrent_goes_legal.html
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/06/21/vuze-bittorrent-with-a-friendly-legal-face/
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Legal_torrent_sites
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/10/BUGLTION1P1.DTL
http://firefox.org/news/articles/147/1/Firefly-Buffy-and-More-Now-on-Legal-Bittorrent/Page1.html
http://torrentfreak.com/sundance-winner-the-corporation-released-for-free-on-bittorrent/
http://newteevee.com/2007/03/03/ten-sites-for-free-and-legal-torrents/
http://www.legaltorrents.com/

See also

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6186.cfm
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=2104
http://www.webtvwire.com/vuze-a-legal-p2p-bittorrent-service-asks-fcc-for-help-after-being-blocked-by-various-isps/

So, um, yeah, no.  And no, those of us saying that BT qua BT is *not* a
redflag inherently are relying upon *the MPAA itself* as quoted in the
AfterDawn piece I linked above.

So, I think it's time for a newer risk analysis on the discussion of
the topic of plugins which retrieve program material for MythTV over
the BitTorrent protocol.  Just that.  Let's not conflate, shall we, the
clearly illegal sharing of programs a user has recorded off-air or
ripped *via* the BitTorrent protocol, as some of the people in this
thread are doing.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.