[mythtv-users] Cannot log into database?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:06:06 UTC 2008

On 21/07/2008, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So for some reason, the local frontend, which is set to connect to
> "192.168.1.5" (which it's own IP address) with a password of "ZfxL8ncZ"
> works, but my remote frontend, (sitting on the same router, with an IP
> address of 192.168.1.4) set to connect to the backend at "192.168.1.5" with
> the password "ZfxL8ncZ" gives me the error message with a question mark.
> Not that this eliminates any chance for networking problems, but I can
> connect the two machines connect via NFS, SSH, and VNC, so I think the
> network is ok.  What else could be causing the problem?

Josh,

Please log in to the MySQL server ('mysql -u root mysql -p' if on the
MySQL host) and post the output of the following:

mysql> SELECT `Host`,`User` FROM `user` WHERE `user` = 'mythtv';

I've purposely left out the Password field so you don't have to post
the password hash, but on your screen if you run:

mysql> SELECT `Host`,`User`,`Password` FROM `user` WHERE `user` = 'mythtv';

you'll be able to see whether passwords all agree for the mythtv user
from each host configured.

For reference, I have entries for my mythtv users for the following hosts:

%.home
192.168.1.%
localhost

which allows for connections from localhost and also over the network
using IP addresses or DNS names.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: