[mythtv-users] Basic setup problems (XvMC, Lirc, EIT)

Petteri Matilainen pmatil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 07:40:17 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I browsed through recent list archives but no-one seemed to have
similar problems. I'm running Debian Unstable with MythTV 0.21
compiled from source. M/B: Abit AV8 with GF FX5600XT graphics card
(AGP). Processor: Athlon 64 3500+. TV card: Nebula digitv PCI DVB-T.
All problems are related to SDTV (no HD in Finland). Here they are:

1. XvMC playback stutters (LiveTV). In Xorg.0.log there is a line
about using XvMotionCompensation. MythTV configured to use Standard
XvMC + xvmc-blit or xvmc-opengl. Stutter is worse with -opengl. MythTV
compiled with "yes" on all the XvMC lines, including -lXvMCNVIDIA.
With "Standard" decoder and xv-blit playback is smooth without any
stutter. CPU load in both cases is around 20 % (cpufreq=1 GHz).

2. DVB-subtitles? Is there no place else to configure them but
mythweb? Or is it on by default? Because on one channel here in
Finland, DVB-subtitles aren't visible (other channels do not use DVB
subs).

3. EIT? I would love to use EIT program guide as opposed to xmltv
(there are some problems with that too). Is EIT scanning also in
mythweb only?

4. Lirc. Mythfrontend says: "could not connect to socket: connection refused".

5. DVB radio channels cause Segmentation fault (frontend). Although I
don't listen them much, it would be nice to have them working.

6. Frontend console filled with: "Audio: buffer underrun"

X is configured as 2 separate screens: 1 on my monitor and the other
DVI->VGA adapter->scart RGB to my CRT 16:9 TV (720x576). There is some
issues with aspect ratio switching: more specifically it's not
automatic. When I force 4:3 AR in mythtv, AR is correct in TV, but
when the commercials kick in, I get "letterboxing". And, when mythtv's
AR is 16:9, on TV programs are letterboxed but commercials are "OK".
I'm probably missing something related to AR but I've read every page
I could find about it. I'd be happy to post my config files if needed.
Thanks in advance.

-Petteri Matilainen