[mythtv-users] First Time User :: Problem with Hauppauge PVR-500 (System Reboots)

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Tue Jul 22 08:52:07 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Param Singh wrote:
> > This is kernel 2.6.17-10-server so I think it was ubuntu edgy.  After
> > upgrading to dapper - feisy, my box rebooted after accessing ivtv.  All
> > later kernels had the reboot problem.  With gutsy it was stable for a few
> > days and then it rebooted. So my backend is ubuntu hardy with a very old
> > kernel and ivtv 0.7.4, but it is rock solid.
>
> Based on what you said, I downgraded and installed Ubuntu 6.06 (
> Kernel v2.6.15.26 ) and ivtv ( 0.4.10 Branch ).
>
> Now the system does not crashes when I run the command :
>
> $ cat /dev/video0 > foobar.mpeg
>
> It runs for 15 minutes ( max. that I tested ) without any problems and
> resulting mpeg is nice quality. Right now I am just happy that its
> working with my old Dragon Soyo p4x400 motherboard with VIA chipset,
> and that I dont have to swap motherboards :-). The next step would be
> to install MythTV and see if I can watch Live-TV without crashing this
> thing :-)
I also had a higher kernel version that was less unstable.  It took a few days
before it crashes :(

> A quick question, How can I make sure that when 'apt-get
> install/update' runs it is allowed to update all the other packages
> except kernel* and ivtv* ? I think those two are most crucial packages
> to keep this thing working...
The latest kernel depends on linux-server.  If you remove the latest kernel,
it will also deinstall linux-server.  linux-server is a package that depends
on the latest kernel so you don't need it.

Stef