[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jul 22 13:32:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:58:23AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Miro may be a bad example for this, but I'll swing for the fences
> >> anyway...
> >>
> >> Let's suppose that I have a whole bunch of rules set up to catch and
> >> record programs by actors whose work I admire.
> >>
> >> Let's further suppose that some of these actors are political
> >> activists... Rob Lowe, for example.
> >>
> >> I'm sure you can understand why I would like, as a MythTV user and Miro
> >> watcher, to have my MythTV box be able *automatically* to catch any
> >> Miro program that might have, say, an appearance by Lowe on behalf of
> >> some (Democratic :-) candidate, and automatically record it.
> >

> > Again, I think Miro is hampering the argument because Miro is a collection
> > of RSS feeds and not items broadcast at a specific time that need to be
> > "recorded".  Now, what you are proposing, however, has value in that you are
> > seeking something that care parse a wide range of RSS feeds looking for
> > keywords such as "Rob Lowe" and then downloading the resulting content form
> > those feeds.
> >
> > I would venture that you can do a close proximity of this with existing
> > tools as well.  Sites like Yahoo Pipes offer services that can merge
> > multiple RSS feeds into a single feed that can also then be searched and
> > filtered.  There are other services that present search results as RSS
> > feeds.  Needless to say, once you settle on a tool that will scour the net
> > and present you a feed of results, the previous tools I mentioned (possibly
> > including MythNews) can consume that and get your content.
> >
> > Until true "Internet broadcast" content which appears on a schedule and only
> > on a schedule shows up, I will continue to struggle to see any value in
> > direct integration with Myth short of dropping the resulting content into
> > Myth accessible folders for it to be viewed.
> >

> Well except that:
>
> 1. myth already has great tools for scanning the database and finding
> programmes you want to record, integrating searches across broadcast
> TV and RSS feeds would be useful (why configure two search engines?);
>
> 2. Being able to find it all in the same part of mythtv, as opposed to
> News|TV|Videos might be easier. Do you really care how the show got on
> your computer?
>
> 3. Myth already has hooks for scheduling (do your downloading at 2.00
> -6.00 am when there is less contention) and prioritisation (if Rob
> Lowe is available in a a higher def stream, prefer it, if the source
> is a reliable news gatherer, prefer it).

Then there is storage management.

Do you really want 20 instances of Rob Lowe doing anything?

But do you want to cycle through them or do you want to
stop recording them once you've gotten a certain number
of them so you don't "miss" something.

The ability to add "sources" and "matches" to the guide data
and the potential recordings could be quite useful.

Anti-recording rules would also be nice. The other half really
has something against Jim Carrey. A sort of rule that would have
the effect of purging him from the recordmatch table when ever he
pops up would probably be appreciated by a lot of people.