[mythtv-users] Looking for low power/heat PCI video card w/TV out

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Tue Jul 22 08:34:45 UTC 2008

I'm looking for a PCI video card with TV out (HDMI, DVI, Component, or
S-Video), ideally a passively cooled card.
While I want a passively cooled card, I don't want one where the heatsink
gets hot enough to cook waffles on.

It's only going to be used for MythTV, so it doesn't have to support
gaming, etc.

I've found a couple cards, but I'm not sure if they are suitable for Myth.

One uses a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 55.  I'm pretty sure the Nvidia Quadro is
supported by Xview (yes/no?)  Any comments?

The other choices all seem to be Radeon based, but I've read that the
Radeon 7000 cards are not a good choice?

Any other suggestions?  Oh yeah, it has to be a 1/2 length PCI card, the
case won't support a full length or even a 3/4 length.