[mythtv-users] Integrating non-traditional program sources into MythTV (won't tell you what it 'was:')

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:12:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

>    On Jul 22, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:37:19PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> >    I agree.  I have this on my TODO as part of finishing the MythNews
>> RSS
>> >    enclosure support but I'm starting to see some value in taking this
>> out of
>> >    MythNews and putting it more into the mainline frontend.  I just
>> updated my
>> >    home system to SVN with QT4 so I'm just about ready to start looking
>> at the
>> >    code.
>>
>> (Yo, everybody!  Shut up now!  That's a better response than I
>> expected.  :-)
>

> It is an interesting conundrum.  It really can't be integrated into
> searches per se because it isn't guide data.  It doesn't fit in the
> traditional role of the program guide because the programs are instantly
> available without notice.  How did you envision this appearing?  Would you
> expect to see feed "recording rules" along side normal rules in the
> Recording Priorities list?  I can see that, but then also it really doesn't
> require a priority because it can't compete with other rules.  I can't see
> them appearing in the guide because, again, we have no future data for the
> feed.  The only place they really need to appear is 1) Watch Recordings and
> 2) The screens you use to set them up.
>
> Since 1) is just a DB import, 2) really is the crux and seems to really be
> best managed by MythNews which already has the facility for setting up feeds
> on the frontend.  What were your ideas?
>

> I know you're not asking me, but it makes sense to me to add a component to
> MythNews that updates feeds in the background and also checks a setting that
> says, "When metadata contains this regex, download to storage directory and
> insert into Watch Recordings". Not sure much else is needed.

That's pretty much where I was headed with it.  The regex/search would come
after the background downloading.  I'm not sure yet if I'd code up our own
downloader or just set up a link to something like podcatcher which could
handle it all on a cron basis.  Of course, it's one more external dependency
so attempting a native one has some value.

Kevin