[mythtv-users] USB Harddrives

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:13:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Mitch Gore wrote:
>
> > At this point im thinking im going to use my old Athlon 1800+ to
> > build a NAS box.  I do have one other 120gb drive i would like to
> > put in my Mythbox but there is no room in the backend box.  I don't
> > really like the idea of having to turn on another PC 24x7 just to
> > run drives but i guess its necessary.  I cant really move my backend
> > to the NAS/new box because commflag and transcode will run REALLY
> > slow on a 1.5ghz AMD!  Compared to my 5700 X2!
> >
> > Thanks for the comments.  Now i just need to find time to build a
> > box.....Dam Small Linux looks like a good choice for this project tho.
>
> It's more cost-effective to buy a big new hard drive and replace
> what's there than to run another machine. Newegg had a 500GB drive for
> $69 this morning.

Except for this sentence that wrote  last post
"I do have one other 120gb drive i would like to
> put in my Mythbox but there is no room in the backend box."

I dont want to have a tower machine in my theater.  I have a mATX Home
Theater case that can only hold 3 drives. If i remove the myBook that has
2x250 drives and if i add the 120gb thats a total on 6 disks....

If i use a old machine how long would it take to cost me ~130 in Power?
Considering its a AMD 1800+.

Mitchell