[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: OTA, Comcast business HSI and the single coax

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:10:50 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday 25 July 2008 11:43:03 Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> You made a good point about coax being a radiator.  Cheap Radio Shack
>> coax might as well be an antenna.  Don't use it.  If you have cable
>> and use this kind of coax, one problem you will have it that the OTA
>> signals will get into the coax and mess up the cable channels.  I only
>> use RG-6U and professional grade connectors.
>
> The fact that you are using some form of RG-6 is no guarantee that you have
> good shielding. There is crappy RG-6 and good RG-6, just like with RG-59.
>
> Most cable companies, especially in urban areas, use triple or even
> quad-shielded cable, in part to avoid problems with OTA channels ingressing
> into the cable signal, and also to reduce radiation.
>
> There is no such thing as cable that "does not radiate", only varying amounts
> of radiation, generally dependent on cable and connector quality,
> installation technique and various other factors.

And that is *IF* the ends on the cable are properly installed, and I have seen
too many where the shield is not touching the connectors being used (sometimes
only on 1 end, sometimes on both), so the next section of cable may not have a
ground at all depending on exactly what the ground configuration is.

                            Roger