[mythtv-users] Saving Disk Space

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jul 26 19:17:56 UTC 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, at 3:05 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:

> Does this seem right?  I "transcoder: Low Quality" 35 minutes of
> Jepordy
> and it takes 3.6G of disk space while 65 minutes of The News Hour is
> only 4.8G and it is not transcoded?  Both shows are HD.  The problem
> is
> we end up with like 30 of these things backed up.

HD could mean anything. It depends on the bandwidth the broadcaster
decides to use. This assumes you mean OTA. Again, "HD" could mean
anything.

> Is there a way to make the storage space smaller or should I just go
> buy
> more drives?

Adjust your transcoders to make them compress as much as you like.
And yes, you should buy a great big hard drive. 1TB is about $175 now.
I'm all about buying larger drives and putting less stress on the
processor for transcoding.