[mythtv-users] Startup Frontend via SSH

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:13:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On my system, the TCP and Unix-socket based connections for a given
> DISPLAY have the same cookie value.  I don't know if that's just the way
> I've configured X or if that's the way it's always supposed to be,
> though.  :)
>
> However, I'd guess that's what causing the problem for you.  Perhaps
> it's a new X configuration or new *buntu configuration for X.  Chances
> are your local machine is using Unix sockets and the ssh session is
> using TCP.
>
> Try:
>
> export DISPLAY="localhost.localdomain/unix:0"
>
> (or use mythfront/unix:0 ) in your script.
>
> Mike

Mike,

Thank you very much, this did the trick. It still won't work remotely
like it used to, but I came home from work and tried this locally and
it works like a charm. The most important thing is that the wife can
restart the frontend when it crashes occasionally by herself. The
"Help" button on my firefly works like a charm again!

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY="mythfront/unix:0"
killall mythfrontend.real
killall irexec
nohup irexec&
nohup mythfrontend&

Nothing worse that getting a call at work from your two year old
telling you the TV is broke!