[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 08:06:09 UTC 2008

ONot quite.

> Change the scenario to:
>
>   Someone shows up that no one else knows and starts
>   to bring up a taboo subject and is instantly annoys
>   pretty much all of the other party guests. Responses
>   range from rage to indifference.
>
>   No one is exactly "supportive".

Define nobody being supportive? I believe MANY people, on MANY
occasions have asked about bittorrent integration. I, for example,
would love it. However, it seems likely that it will never happen. I
have no idea why, and yet totally understand (if that makes sense).
There's always debates of legality, but there is NOTHING illegal about
a decentralized distributed p2p system. It's what the users share in
that system that can be deemed questionable. This, to me, is simply a
matter of being over-cautious. This doesn't change the fact that the
developers aren't going to allow any bittorent contributions to put
their precious software at risk. I don't disagree with this viewpoint
- I have come to depend on myth to allow me to watch the news (which
airs while I'm at work) as well as many other shows (I work nights,
and thus, during primetime) and would not like to see the project shut
down.

THAT BEING SAID...

If you want to use bittorrent - myth is open source. take the code,
and make your own project, based on it, with the integration.

OR

setup bittorrent on linux in such a way that it automatically loads
the torrent when you download it, and saves the video data to your
videos directory, then in myth, set mythvideo to show all files in
that folder, without having to add them to the DB. And vio;a, a
workaround to 'integrate' bittorrent with your mythtv setup without
putting any of that questionable software into the project.

Either way, I think that's as close as you are going to get to a myth
bittorrent plugin unless you write it yourself (outside of myth
completely) and if that happens, I'm sure a lot of people would be
interested in getting ahold of your plugin. It is still unlikely that
it would make it into the official myth project.

~Jon