[mythtv-users] Minor Screen Refresh Visible

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:00:17 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 William <william_munson at comcast.net>:
> C.T. Paterson wrote:
>> I find the problem a little difficult to explain - which is probably
>> why I'm finding it hard to google for it.
>>
>> My video is 98% fine - but there is a bit of a refresh artifact that
>> rolls from top to bottom across the screen over a few seconds.  Most
>> of the time it is not even noticable, but when the image is static
>> (ie. menus) it's more visible.  I have always had this - when I was
>> outputting to a CRT, and now on my new LCD TV.
>>
>> My xorg.conf is attached, and my video card details are below (from
>> lshw); although if there was a non-nVidia specific setting I could
>> try, I'd be curious to know that, too, as I'm considering pulling the
>> card in favour of o/b video for heat and power reasons.
>>
>>   *-display
>>                 product: GeForce 8400 GS
>>                 vendor: nVidia Corporation
>>                 physical id: 0
>>                 bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
>>                 version: a1
>>                 width: 64 bits
>>                 clock: 33MHz
>>                 capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller
>> bus_master cap_list
>>                 configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0 module=nvidia
>>
>> Am I making any sense to anyone?  ;>
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> It sounds like it may be a power supply issue. Pull that video card and
> try the internal video.

Power, really?  I have no reason to disbelieve you - my 300W PSU does
seem to have to strain (I was having a lot of crash problems until I
made one of the internal drives an external drive with its own power);
I'm just surprised that I would see that kind of effect.

I had some time this a.m., so I've pulled the nvidia card out in
favour of the o/b intel G33.  The refresh lines or screen shear or
whatever it was is gone.

I know have a couple of new minor irritants - but I'll take that to
another thread.

Thanks all.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine