[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Wed Jul 30 11:23:31 UTC 2008

>> I suppose it's also possible that Mythtv.org was infected, but that
>> seems unlikely.
>
> The list has been infected, this thread is the symptom. As with many
> diseases
> the behavior of the infected victims helps to spread the pestilence.
>
> Let's ignore it, discussing it can't possibly help.

Well it might help.
My concern is: does the list require you to sign up in order to post?
If anyone can post to the list without signing up, this is a bad thing and
can lead to more spam. I suspect this is the case, since most spammers are
too lazy to keep signing up.

If it's an open list, then I'll probably quit.  My spam filters catch
99.9% of spam, but won't catch any coming in from MythTv.org

My preference for avoiding spam is higher than my desire to be on this list.