[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Wed Jul 30 14:30:33 UTC 2008

>> If anyone can post to the list without signing up, this is a bad thing
>> and
>> can lead to more spam. I suspect this is the case, since most spammers
>> are
>> too lazy to keep signing up.
>>

> Though I'm pretty certain that anyone can send an e-mail with an
> appropriate From: header (i.e. one that uses the e-mail of a subscribed
> member) .

Well, the message in question came "From:" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
If that's all it takes to get spam onto the list...

>> If it's an open list, then I'll probably quit.  My spam filters catch
>> 99.9% of spam, but won't catch any coming in from MythTv.org
>>

> Fortunately, the mythtv.org spam filters catch 99.9999% of spam to the
> list.  I'm thinking Isaac mentioned getting some 100 spam messages to
> the list every 5 minutes or so (at least for a while).

Well, hopefully someone hasn't found a simple way to get past the filters.

I don't mind getting one spam every month or so, but when you have to
start sorting through the crap to get the content, it's not worth it any
more.

>> My preference for avoiding spam is higher than my desire to be on this
>> list.
>>

> Your choice.  (Or, just reconfigure your spam filters...)

I filter at the server level based on where the spam comes from (i.e.
reject SMTP connections with: no reverse IP setup, reverse IP shows it
coming from a broadband/DSL user, everything from china, brazil, etc.) and
grey listing.

Trying to filter based on content sent to MythTV.org would be difficult at
best.