[mythtv-users] OTA interference with cable causing ghosting

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 31 06:50:42 UTC 2008

Russ Dill wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> Use RG-6Q cable and professional connectors attached with a high
>> quality crimp tool.
>>
>> Connectors: https://www.tselectronic.com/thomandbetts/sns.html
>> crimp tool like this:
>> https://www.tselectronic.com/paladin/901024.html
>> Cable like this:
>> https://www.tselectronic.com/belden/1189.html
>>
>> And, if you get this stuff, you can use these cables for your audio
>> and video interconnects with this:
>> https://www.tselectronic.com/gc/video/video_adaptor.html
>>
>> Some people prefer this wire:
>> https://www.tselectronic.com/belden/7916a.html
>> or similar with solid coper center conductor but I have used the coper
>> coasted steel stuff without issue.
>>
>> I had the same issue with off the air interfering with cable until I
>> got this kind of cable.
>>

> Hmm..I don't think I can do much about the cable in my house, I can
> update the cables running from my wall jack to my mythbox. Grounding
> seems like something fairly easy to try. Its not the tuner card's
> fault really, the TV's on their own are worse.
>
> My other option is to just stick it out till feburary 19h

On February 19th all the OTA stations are going to move.  Around here,
several of the digital stations will occupy their old analog channels.
The new DTV channels will be 7-51 and I think most stations that are
above 7 will move their DTV signals to their old analog locations so you
may still get interference.  Probably be different and perhaps not as
objectionable.

In terms of re-wiring your house.  You may be able to do it all on
outside walls under the eves or along the foundation and drill through
the walls to get inside.  That is what an cable installer would do.

Allen