[mythtv-users] Which 3rd party repository should I use for Fedora 9?

Carlos Javier Borroto carlos.borroto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 13:31:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 2:16 PM, Carlos Javier Borroto wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of testing waters with Fedora, I'm coming from
>> Ubuntu(Mythbuntu), one of my main use of Linux at home is MythTV and
>> reading about it in Fedora[1], I see MythDora should be my best bet,
>> but I don't only use the PC for MythTV, so I want something I could
>> upgrade to the newest version available at the time. MythDora doesn't
>> seems to follow Fedora's releases, right now version 5 is based on
>> Fedora 8.
>
> Why are you moving from Mythbuntu to Fedora?

Well I have never use a Red Hat system for a long period of time in my
8 years using Linux, only SuSE, Debian and Ubuntu, the last 2 mainly,
so I'm feeling that I should test by myself the most commercial
successful Linux distro and with Fedora also one of the most popular.
That the main reason, then Hardy I really think it wasn't a good
release, I'm not talking about Mythbuntu, which I think it was really
easy to setup, I use Linux in all the desktop computer I use and I
choose Ubuntu cause it was easy to use for this task, but with Hardy,
sound is really a mess, I know Pulseaudio is something very useful,
but the Hardy implementation is not, by the way MythTV doesn't seems
to support it, then comes the performance, which could be something
very subjective, but I think is not near what should be, but who knows
if I'm right, I should test something else. I could be returning to
Mythbuntu very soon.

>>> From the same guide it seems the other place where I can find rpms
>>> for
>> MythTV is from atrpms.net, but I also found that many people use rpms
>> for Nvidia and ATI cards, some multimedia packages, etc, from
>> rpm.livna.org, which also have MythTV rpms, even when my experience
>> with rpm is quite vague, I know that mixing several 3rd party
>> repositories is not a good thing, so any advice which path should I
>> take?
>
> Your instinct is right. Don't mix rpm repositories unless there is a
> specific reason you need to. I used to mess up my nvidia packages all
> the time because I originally followed a guide that said I should be
> using freshrpms as well as atrpms. As soon as I got rid of freshrpms
> and stuck with what Axel (ATrpms) says works, all was much better. :)

Ok, those are 2 votes for ATrpms, so I think i have my answer, thanks
to both of you.

BTW, I read livna and 2 other 3rd party Fedora's repositories are
joining in a new project, rpmfusion.org, is posible that ATrpms join
that project too?

regards,
--
Carlos Javier