[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Sun Jun 1 21:49:27 UTC 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 3:56 AM, Harry Devine wrote:

> Michael Jones wrote:
>> On May 29, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>>

>>> I have a Motorola DCT-3412 STB and F8 x64 running myth 0.21.  I have
>>> my
>>> firewire setup as a capture card, but my mythbackend will not
>>> initialize
>>> it.  Every time mythbackend starts, I get a message that says
>>> "Problem
>>> with capture cards" and "Card 6failed init".  This is seen in the
>>> mythbackend.log file as well as via Mythweb.
>>>
>>> I've asked similar questions about firewire before about 2 months
>>> ago,
>>> but go no responses, so I thought I'd try again.  I can run
>>> firewire_tester successfully, so I know that it's active.  I can
>>> even
>>> run the 6200ch script to change the STB channel, so my communication
>>> is
>>> definitely there.  Myth just doesn't seem to want to use it.  I was
>>> looking over the code on the SVN trac site (for what it's worth,
>>> I'm a
>>> programmer, mainly Windows GUI programming, so I do have a pretty
>>> good
>>> grasp on what I'm looking at) but can't seem to figure out why the
>>> firewire capture won't initialize properly.
>>>
>>> Is there some way I can get more debug type information so I can
>>> diagnose this further?
>>>

>> I just fought with my firewire connection recently. I had similar
>> symptoms.  It turned out to be the permissions on the /dev/raw1394
>> file.
>>
>> I don't know for sure what the minimum permissions are for this file,
>> but I did a:
>>
>> chmod 777 /dev/raw1394
>>
>> If this is the issue, you'll also need to set it again on reboot from
>> the rc.local script.
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry

> Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work.  I set it to 777 and
> restarted the backend service, and got the same error in the log.  I'm
> sure I'm missing something simple, but can't seem to find what it is.

Sorry, my description of the process probably wasn't complete..

When I saw this problem I changed the permissions of the raw1394
device, and then ran mythtv-setup again. Check your firewire input and
make sure the configuration screen shows the actual id of the device.

If it can't see the device there will be a pulldown menu that doesn't
contain any data - if it can, there'll be a number in there: the ID of
the device.

After you have an ID number in the firewire input setup, then restart
all backends on your system.

Also, check the /var/log/mythtv/ directory for the backend logs.

Hope this helps..