[mythtv-users] OT: Watching Videos on a PocketPC

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:30:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net>
wrote:

> On 5/31/2008 9:13 PM Marc Barrett said the following:
> > I have an old Dell Axim X30 which I don't use for much, and figured it
> would be great
> > if I could watch videos on it.  It has a nice LCD display, and a WiFi
> connection.  Ideally
> > I'd like to be able to set it up to watch streams on it, so I wouldn't
> have to be always be
> > copying files to it.
> >
> > I've been playing with VLC on Windows, using the Wizard to set up network
> streams,
> > but I have not been able to get it to work.  The best PocketPC media
> player, TCPMP,
> > apparently does not support URLs, only local files.  I've been trying to
> get Windows Media
> > Player for PocketPC to open  the network streams, but so far with no
> success.

I don't know about the streaming part, but if you want to transcode them and
copy them onto a CF or SD card look at:

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Transcoding_for_the_PDA

I originally setup transcoding for the Axim X5 and it works great.  I later
upgraded to the Axim x51V and last year to the Ipod Touch.  All of these are
great for video.

Even if you got streaming working I would be worried about battery life.  My
original Axim would run about 1 1/2 hours on wireless before the battery
would be drained.

Jeff