[mythtv-users] What dual/triple-tuner setup is recommended for the switch to digital?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:21:01 UTC 2008

>   What do I do when the switch to digital comes?

You do realize the broadcast switch next year does not directly effect
cable or satellite?

>   It seems to me that most folks in the past have been using digital
> with their Myth boxes talking over Firewire to 1394-enabled STBs. Is
> this actually true? If it is true does that suggest I have to have
> rent 3 STBs to record 3 channels?
>
>   I've barely checked out hardware like the HD Homerun. My
> understanding is that this device gets me to parity with 2 recordings
> at a time but doesn't get me to 3. Correct? And if I got something now
> - like the HDHR - if it works today does it stay compatible after the
> switch or does Comcast start doing things differently and the hardware
> becomes useless again?
>
>   Anyway, I'm looking for ideas on how I might start preceding.

Currently I have a cheap $40 kworld card that allows me to record
digital on the 8 channels that Comcast does not encrypt. To receive
more channels I would need a cable box and probably an hauppage HD-PVR
(when it becomes available).

John