[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 01:59:27 UTC 2008

Michael Jones wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2008, at 2:28 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
>

>> Michael Jones wrote:

>>> Sorry to hear about the spontaneous murphy's law attack..
>>>
>>> Not sure I would recognize the data values on their own without the
>>> mythtv-setup screens ;-)
>>>
>>> Someone might though..

>> I checked permissions on /dev/raw1394 and they are 660.  I decided to
>> run mythtv-setup anyway (via an SSH session on my laptop with
>> X-Forwarding).  When I look at the Firewire capture card here's what
>> shows up:
>>
>> Card type: FireWire cable box
>> GUID 00159AFFFE163F4A
>> Cable box model: DCT-3412
>> Connection Type: Point to Point
>> Speed 100Mbps
>> Signal Timeout (msec): 2000
>> Tuning Timeout (msec): 9000
>>
>> This all seems normal to me.  The only questionable thing I can
>> think of
>> is the connection type.  I think it should be Broadcast, but that
>> shouldn't make the card not initialize.  From what I've read, that
>> could
>> cause some connection stability, but not a failure of the card every
>> single time.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Harry
>>

> That looks correct, and you're right, broadcast/point-to-point
> shouldn't make the difference.
>
> The fact that the GUID is being sensed by mythtv-setup means that
> MythTV has access to the device.
>
> The only thing that I can think of is that I've read that some
> Firewire interfaces have driver issues, but that's grasping at
> straws.  I'm out of ideas, sorry.

OK, I gave the test recording a try via firewire and got the following
error in my backend log:

2008-06-02 18:00:04.034 Canceled recording (Recorder Failed): Law &
Order: Speci
al Victims Unit "Limitations": channel 3222 on cardid 6, sourceid 3

I was expecting the channel change script to run, change the channel on
the STB, and start recording.  Obviously, it failed and that didn't
happen.  How do you tell your firewire to do this?  I'm unclear as to
how the firewire recording process happens.

Thanks,
Harry