[mythtv-users] hd homerun and STB

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 02:22:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:02 PM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
> |> The item you purchased doesn't do what you seem to think it does.
> Those 10
> |> channels you see are probably exactly what you are supposed to see.
> Hooking
> |> after the STB and expecting to tune, let alone, tune all 700 of those
> |> channels is something you should realize will not work.
> |
> | Yea, the HDHR can receive off-air ATSC or unencrypted QAM from a cable
> system.
> |
> | If you want to receive encrypted QAM signals you must use an STB and a
> capture
> | device that accepts the output of the STB, generally either baseband or
> | sometimes RF.
>
> what do you mean by that..... I have to have something between the STB,
> and the HDHR? besides the cable running between the 2?

It means that the HDHR can *only* handle unencrypted data.  Your STB
is necessary to decrypt the encrypted channels, and you would need
something like this:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

to then capture the output from the STB.  In other words, the HDHR is
no good to you, except for (probably) your local channels.

Note that linux drivers for the HD-PVR are not available (yet).

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?