[mythtv-users] hd homerun and STB

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 3 02:41:18 UTC 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 20:02:13 steve wrote:

> what do you mean by that..... I have to have something between the STB,
> and the HDHR? besides the cable running between the 2?

You don't use an HDHR with an STB, that's just not what it's made for.

To use an STB you need a capture device that accepts whatever the STB outputs,
which is usually baseband and sometimes RF.

In your situation all you will get with an HDHR is the unencrypted QAM, as you
have discovered. To get anything tuned by an STB you need a BB input capture
device like a PVR-150, though that will tune RF as well.

The new Hauppauge box (expecting mine this week) looks promising if you have
an STB that outputs component.

beww