[mythtv-users] hd homerun and STB

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 03:05:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:58 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So the question I've had is how do I determine what unencrypted QAM
>> channels my cable provider (Comcast) is providing on my network
>> without first purchasing something like an HDHR?
>>
> Do you have a TV with a digital tuner? You will usually get the same
> channels with a capture card as you get on your digital tv. And this
> most likely does not matter if you paid for a digital package or not
> as most subscribers will get the same feed with most channels
> encrypted and the channel lineups handled inside the cable box.
>
> John

No, we don't. The only digital tuner is the one in the STB. My HDTV is
about 7 years old now. Very, very retro.

I found that the Silicon Dust site does list channels by zip code. Not
sure I can really trust that but it looks like all the basic over the
air stuff is there so the HDHR will probably suit our needs.
Fortunately I don't need one right now as the Comcast site says
they'll continue to do analog over the cable, at least for a while.
The HDHR would be my first step into OTA HD recording as well as
allowing us to record a few more channels.

Thanks for the info,
Mark