[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Tue Jun 3 21:21:42 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Yan-Fa Li
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:01 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

I'm about to try something like that out in the next couple of weeks.
I have a sil 3124 based controller on it's way to see if it's
compatible with my file server PCI-X implementation and then I've been
looking at these:

http://addonics.com/products/host_controller/extpm.asp

According to the research I've done at http://linux-ata.org/ support
for both the 3124 and the 3726 PMP is good as of kernel 2.6.25, which
is bleeding edge and beyond most mainstream distributions, but I'm on
gentoo so it's not really an issue.  Using this sort of solution it's
possible to get to 20 ports of eSATA which should scale for quite some
time; 18TB RAID6 array anyone?  Then your problem becomes finding a
filesystem that will scale to that.  Though with mythtv that's no
longer an issue thanks to storage groups assuming you can stand losing
some TV.

I went for a couple of these

http://addonics.com/products/multilane/connector.asp

One in my PC, and one in my external disk box, that way, I can run 4
channels to the disk box over 1 cable. I'm then planning on using 3 of these

http://addonics.com/products/host_controller/ad5sapm.asp

In the disk box. There are 9 slots in the disk box

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279208

and I have some 5 into 3 kits, so I can fit 15 disks into each case.

I have 5 x 500GB drives to move into this, and if it works, I'll move over
my existing 320GB drives into another disk box, connected to the same server
(and maybe expand that array out to 15 disks too). I've been waiting till I
got my new motherboard sorted out, so I could put 4GB into it (and double it
to 8GB) if needed, and that came this last week.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks.

Graham