[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 04:11:42 UTC 2008

> That's easy to say Carl, but in practice you are looking at a $700.00 for a
> card that I would trust with my data.  I'm not saying that I have not
> thought about it since having it take care of the parity calculations would
> take a load off of my machine, but still thats enough money to buy 3 decent
> 1TB drives.

You would do much better with a processor upgrade than a hardware raid
card that can save you a few % CPU usage. I mean I have been running
software raid at work for years (I have 10 TB to 15 TB raid 5 + 6 )
and the CPU usage for the raid on my servers/desktops (some 4 year old
2GHz Opterons) rarely goes above 7% unless the array is rebuilding
which only happens if you need to replace a drive.

John