[mythtv-users] Could realtime commercial flagging cause hard lockup/freeze/hang?

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:32:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:26 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Processor overheating?
>
> John

 On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Roger Heflin wrote:

> If you have not made any hardware changes of any kind, or kernel changes
> recently Check the CPU temps, and check to make sure the cpu fan (and all
> other
> fans) are spinning, and check to make sure that the heat sink is not full
> of
> dust.     Any one of those will cause the machine under load to behave
> similar
> to what you describe, probably any other cpu intensive job will cause the
> machine to also hang.

 Roger

I thought this at first too, so I took the computer apart and blew it out
with my air compressor.  I reseated the cpu heatsink with a fresh batch of
thermal grease (and found that I had done it wrong to begin with, now it's
covering the whole top of the processor); I thought for sure this was
it, but then it continued to crash.  I implemented sensord to watch the
temps and I logged it every 5 minutes so I could see if the temps were
peaking when it crashed.  Alas, they were not.