[mythtv-users] does my system make the cut?

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Wed Jun 4 15:13:59 UTC 2008

1 - yes as long as you have a fasterish hdd and use jfs or another non
ext3 fs, only use hardware encoding and only do SD.
2 - 150s are usually a little cheaper and will be fine for your
purpose but yeah x50 is a good way to go. If you aren't forced to do
ir blasting the 500 might be a good idea if you are short on pci slots
(sounds like you want at least two tuners).
3 - probably, but never used any windows front ends so i'll let others
answer that one
4 - yes assuming that its fast enough (I believe around 1 Ghz is the minimum)
5 - yes

you will need an nvidia card that can do xvmc (or something else that
does xvmc) to watch anything on that P3. I've done SD playback using
xvmc on a PIII 450 so it can be done probably not without xvmc.

Lowend myth can work but some day you'll want HD and when that day
comes you'll need to spend a lot of money (not really, but its more
significant than buying a couple tuners and a $30 nvidia 6200) to get
better hardware.