[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Glen Dragon gdragon at jetcom.org
Thu Jun 5 03:41:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Matt Nelson <matt at frozenatom.com> wrote:

> My original 6 drives running a software raid created using mdadm on fedora
> 6 has been migrated through 2 servers, and 3 different installs, with no
> problems, it just came up and mounted with absolutely no problems.  Which is
> what lead me to create this discussion; I did not know if I was just lucky,
> and after growing in size, I wanted to find out if I needed to do things
> different in the future.  After reading all of your comments and links to
> documentation, etc I have concluded that I am on the right path with
> Linux-based software raid, for my home use.

I agree.  The flexibility of the SW raid is unmatched.  The file server has
been running since Mar '05. It started as 3x300, and since then I have added
more 3 more drives to that array, to bring the total to 6x300, In that time
I have also replaced 2 drives to failures. Now I am running an additional
array, 3x750 solely for myth recordings.